(Disclaimer- This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see Disclosure Policy.)
- Magic Tree House book Day of the Dragon King and the MTH Fact Tracker: China- Land of the Emperor’s Great Wall [I try to get books from the library whenever possible, but they don’t always have everything.]
- Download Day of the Dragon King Comprehension [You will need a Teachers Pay Teachers account]
- Optional: Magic Tree House Games and Puzzles from the Treehouse book [This gets used a lot, but I will try to find alternatives online when possible. I make copies of the pages for easy gluing into the notebook]
- The spiral or composition notebook started with book 1
- Free account at Magic Tree House
- The usual: paper, printer, ink, pencils, crayons or colored pencils
- Other supplies will depend on what additional projects you choose to do
[If using both Magic Tree House and Story of the World curricula, there may be overlapping activities. See SOTW Ch.32 for more activities about China and the Great Wall]
- Before starting reading, fill in the K and W sections of a KWL Chart about China and The Great Wall (What do you already know and what do you want to know or wonder?)
- Read chapter 1-2 of Day of the Dragon King and answer comprehension questions for each chapter
- Watch The History of the Great Wall of China for Kids**
- Read chapters 3-4 and answer comprehension questions for each chapter
- Read Ancient China for Kids; take quiz
- Watch 5 Facts About Ancient China**
- Read chapters 5-6 and answer comprehension questions for each chapter
- Read about the Great Wall of China; Look at an aerial view of it
- Work on note-taking skills with this Great Wall of China Doodle Note page
- Read chapters 7-8 and answer comprehension questions for each chapter
- Watch The Story of the Terracotta Warriors**
- Read chapters 9-10 and answer comprehension questions for each chapter
- Take the Day of the Dragon King Passport Quiz (Don’t forget to log in!)
- Watch Time Warp Trio-Wushu Were Here**
- Read chapter 1-2 Fact Tracker: Land of the Emperor’s Great Wall/Rise of the First Emperor
- Watch Geography of China** (This video is aimed at more upper elementary-lower middle ages, but still good information)
- Read chapter 3-4 Fact Tracker: The Terra-cotta Soldiers/Great Inventions
- Complete the Chinese Inventions word find
- Illustrate It! (P.66 MTH Games and Puzzles): Design your own Chinese Silk Robe
- Read chapter 5-6 Fact Tracker: Daily Life in China/Celebrate!
- Begin plans for building your own Great Wall: edible wall of rice krispies, out of styrofoam craft bricks, or Great Wall of China building kit
- Read chapter 7 Fact Tracker: Chinese Around the World
- Fill in the L section of the KWL chart; what are your favorite or most interesting things you learned about China and the Great Wall?
- Work on your Great Wall display
- Take the Fact Tracker Passport Quiz (Don’t forget to log in!)
- Finish your Great Wall display and present what you’ve learned to family
- Check out books from the library! (On days we finish quick, I usually add reading one of the library books on the topic. I try to have them set out, easy to get to as well. Cap’n C will just randomly pick one up and start reading when he’s interested in the topic.)
- Play Mission Games with Jack and Annie!
(Last Updated 7/20/17)
(Disclaimer- This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please see Disclosure Policy. Living Loving Learning Academy has no affiliation with, nor is sponsored/endorsed by the authors or publishers of the Magic Tree House series.)
**YouTube occasionally has inappropriate content. Make sure to set the safety filter at the bottom of page to on or watch with children to be able to reload page, if something objectionable comes up.
If you come across any broken links or resources no longer available, be sure to comment below and I will get them fixed as soon as I can. Thanks!